• Lena Lovato Archuleta was born in New Mexico on July 25, 1920.
• She graduated from the University of Denver with a B.A. in education and a master’s degree in library science.
• Archuleta was an educator for over thirty years in both her native New Mexico and Colorado.
• She was the first Latina principal in Denver Public Schools at Fairview Elementary School.
• She was involved with several community organizations such as The Denver Public Library, 9 Health Fair, Circle of Latina Leadership and notably, the AARP. She was named the first Latina Vice-President on the Board of Directors of the organization from 1990-1996.
• Archuleta has been honored with many recognitions including: the Bernie Valdez Award for Community Service, the Denver Hispanic Chamber of Commerce “Famous Firsts” Award, the Hispanic Annual Salute, inducted into the Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame, The Denver Public Library created the Lena L. Archuleta Community Service Award and she was a Latin American Educational Foundation Sol Trujillo Lifetime Leadership Recipient.
Archuleta’s funeral mass will take place at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 30 at Good Shepherd Catholic Church, 2626 East 7th Ave. Parkway. In lieu of flowers, she requested that contributions be made to the Latin American Educational Foundation, 561 Santa Fe Drive, Denver, CO 80204.